Monday, May 2, 2011

Tens in a Row--BINGO!!


Hi blog friends!!! I just got back from a fabulous, but EXHAUSTING trip to Disney with my whole entire family!! My nieces and nephews had the best time and I’m so glad I went just to see their smiling faces at each new attraction. Now it is back to work!! The end of the year is coming and I have SO much to do, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!


This week we are beginning double digit addition. My babies aren’t babies anymore and are getting SO darn smart!! Every year I forget how much they learn from September to June…it’s crazy! Anyway, I always begin this unit by reviewing place value. I made up a little game which we called Tens in a Row—BINGO! It was inspired by the math program my school uses (Houghton Mifflin- do any of you use it?!) It reviews mental math: adding tens.


We started by reviewing with base ten blocks on the activboard. We played this game.
Then I wrote the #s 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,90 and 100 on the board. I told the children to choose 9 of the #s and fill them in on their grid.
Next I described numbers like this- the number I am thinking of has 2 tens plus 3 tens and the kids had to find that number (50) on their grid and put a marker on it. I did this until someone called out TENS IN A ROW--BINGO!!


Examples- 1 ten plus 3 tens (40), 7 tens plus 2 tens (90), 4 tens plus 3 tens (70)


My computer is being a real pain and will not allow me to post pictures right now?!?! but...


You can download the grid paper here.


Enjoy!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio