Monday, March 21, 2011

Poem of the Month...

Every day my class has a monthly poem that we recite during morning meeting. It is an excellent way to practice fluency and reading skills such as volume, tone and expression. Plus the kids love it! I keep the poems themed by month and whoever is the line leader that day gets to lead the class in the poem.

There are so many activities that you can do with poetry. I have attached just a quick Persona Poem intro lesson that I read about on Scholastic years ago. They come out very cute every year. It’s really funny to see what each kid picks to be. I will take pics after my class completes this little writing activity. 

Do you use poetry in your classroom? 




Im up here


6 comments:

Unknown said...

OOOOO! I like this! I've always struggled with my poetry. Typically, I'll go gung-ho at the beginning of the year and then start to "forget" to do it after Christmas. This year, I didn't even start it because I didn't want to waste the paper (copy count at my school.) If I stick to a monthly poem then I'd never "forget," and I wouldn't wait until holidays and April to review poetry.
Thanks for sharing!!!
-Andi
PencilsGlueandTyingShoes

drdebi2b said...

I love the poem! Thank you for sharing. I do poetry in my classroom weekly. Our poetry journal becomes a Poetry Scrapbook! The poem is read for fluency....the kids take it home over the weekend to read to an adult and we try to do a fun art activity to go along with the poem. My blog is all about the poems I use in class. Stop by .... :)
Debi
http://just4teachers.blogspot.com/

Katie from ABC&123: A Learning Cooperative said...

Thank you for posting about poetry. We would love to share a link to your blog in celebration of National Poetry Month!

Ms. Wiley. New York, NY said...

I would LOVE it if you shared a link to my blog on ABC and 123. Let me know if there is anything I have to do...Thanks!

melia said...

I also use monthly poems and love it. My problem this year is that I am going from teaching grade 1 to teaching grade 1-2. I would love to exchange copies of our monthly poems if you are willing. I would like to see my grade 2s be exposed to different monthly poems. Thank you in advance!

Ms. Wiley. New York, NY said...

@Melia I would love to share my monthly poems with you...except they are at school and we are not allowed in for another week due to construction!! I'm sorry, but when I can back to my classroom I will send you what I have! :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio